Once you’ve had homemade ranch dressing, I promise you won’t eat the store bought stuff again. This classic, creamy salad dressing is simple to make, and you might just have all the ingredients on hand!
Homemade ranch dressing is perfect for salads and dipping Sourdough Pizza in. It is also perfect for adding to your favorite cheese based recipes and kicking them up a notch, like this Cheesy Ranch Scalloped potatoes and Ham. It is so incredibly easy to make, and can be made in a pinch. Since I started making ranch at home, my husband and kids refuse to eat the store bought kind anymore. I guarantee you will feel the same way. This stuff really is that good.
Ranch Dressing Ingredients
The ingredients you will need when making ranch dressing from scratch are surprisingly very basic. You might even have everything you need on hand. The reason homemade ranch is better for you and tastes so much better than bottled ranch, is because of its real ingredients. The main ingredients in store bought ranch are oil and water, allowing it to be more shelf stable. They also contain funky preservatives, gums, and whiteners. Choose high quality ingredients when making ranch from scratch to ensure you are are avoiding unnecessary chemicals and getting the best possible flavor!
- Sour Cream – Sour cream gives this ranch dressing a smooth consistency, and adds that cooling sensation we all know and love. I love using brands like like Kalona Super Natural because they are low temp pasteurized and add more nutritional value.
- Mayonnaise – Mayo makes homemade ranch dressing rich and velvety. Use a brand that is olive oil or avocado oil based to avoid inflammatory seed oils.
- Lemon Juice – Fresh lemon juice gives this dressing that perfectly irresistible tang.
- Milk – Whole milk will thin your ranch dressing out. Less or more can be added to achieve the perfect consistency for you and your family.
- Seasonings – Dried chives, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper are really what make ranch, ranch.
How to Make Homemade Ranch Dressing
In a small bowl or jar, stir together the sour cream. mayonnaise, lemon juice, and seasonings until they are fully combined. Add the milk in slowly while whisking, until the desired consistency is reached.
This ranch tastes delicious served immediately, but resting it in the fridge for at least one hour allows the flavors to develop. The ranch will also thicken as it chills.
How to Store Homemade Ranch Dressing
Store this dressing in an air tight container, in the fridge, for up to 7 days. The ranch will thicken and the flavors will deepen the longer it is stored in the fridge.